First day in paradise……Saturday…

I woke with a start as my alarm went off….I’d had a weird night of sleep wake sleep wake as usual, but had dreamt of my previous life where dementia hadn’t existed and different times merged into one; different people from different decades blending together to make one moment and I lay there, now awake, stunned and confused,,  trying to untangle the night that had gone….

After a shower, to wash away the night, I opened my curtains, almost to confirm where I was….yes the silhouette outline of my reassuring paradise was staring back at me….a tinge of morning starting to appear

As I walked down the steps and outside I could feel that familiar fresh clean air that exists nowhere else other than here…

The sky had a pink tinge; not the foreboding red of rain to come, but a gentle pink heralding a fine day.

I could hear the birds all around me as I walked towards the lake. Sunrise is so late that dog walkers had beaten me to me trundle and many were out and about smiling and bidding good morning as they passed by…I would leave Friars Crag until the end, so turned left into the field walk

As I walked round into the bay, the view was so still, a mirror image of the sky above reflected in the water below

The geese were busy performing their morning ablutions showering in the lake

…and even though there was noise all around, it was nature’s noise….not noise at all, but nature waking…..

You can almost feel the stillness in my photos

I made my way up towards Friars Crag, not sure if I’d have it to myself but ….thankfully, I was in luck…

I sat for a moment with my eyes close

I felt at home and at peace…

I zoomed in and saw two fortunate people at the top of Cat Bells watching the sunrise

….before realising I needed to get a wigggle on or I’d be late for breakfast….but every now and then the view would distract me. Each bay disclosing it’s own beauty

One after the other…

Geese taking flight and me desperate to get one in focus…..almost

The reflections creating a perfect mirror image…..

Must get a wiggle on 😳�…..

The sun suddenly shone a spotlight on Skiddaw and I stopped once more…

Into Hope park, almost home, but then my first Robin was spotted high up at the very top of the tree singing its morning song

I stood still watching and listening to its morning serenade ….must get a wiggle on…..😳

Finally…just coming out of Hope Park…and another beauty caught my eye, asking me to stop and look… stared straight at me, so close I could have reached out my hand and touched it. Neither it nor I flinched as we shared that moment

“Sylvia?” I whispered…and smiled….

…….before checking my watch….nearly 9am!!! My breakfast was at 08.30 🙈 As I wobbled as fast as I could back home…I entered the dining room and apologised breathlessly to Catherine..

“Soo sorry I’m so late, I got distracted 🙄”

“You’re not late”, she replied, “In fact you’re right on time….”

Apparently I’d messaged Catherine the night before to change the time of my breakfast from 08.30 to 9am…..🙄🙈😂…..

After a lovely breakfast, as always, I went out to get my supper. It was market day so everywhere was colourful and busy. I couldn’t decide where to walk. I decided against Walls Crag as I didn’t think the summer buses would be running and I’d seen that the launches had stopped for the season. That would mean no back up way home if I wasn’t up to it 🤔….I’d seen there was a Christmas tree festival on at one of the local churches. We have the same at Beverley Minster. Local groups and charities dress their own tree and people vote for their favourite. If I did Castlerigg stone circle, I would be back in plenty of time to go there as well…

So off I trotted. It’s the same route to start with as for Walla Crag, so with the Moot Hall behind me, I head up the side of the high street

I could sense I had company…couldn’t put my finger on it, until I saw the flash of red fly into the tree at the side of me. It was as though it was guiding me, flitting from tree to tree until I became distracted by the Highland cows in the field

Most were busy munching away, but the one in front had clearly had enough and wanted a nap instead🤣 others were simply chilling in the morning sun..

I went through the gate, following the well trodden path and as I turned the corner another flash of red landed in front of me, stopping me in my steps

We stood and stared once more and I smiled….

“You coming for a walk with me today Sylvia and she hopped onto a nearby branch

…and as I carried on, so did she, landing on a post so I could see her as I chatted away…

She posed while I snapped away, first this way…

….then hopping onto another post and facing the other way….just like Sylvia would do…

I reached into my pocket to check if I’d remembered the pink bird pellets….and I had. I unscrew the lid and was about to hold out my hand…..when a man appeared behind me…

“Morning” he bellowed…I replied, hesitantly, confused; looking around me…but the moment had gone.

“Sylvia?” I called….but no answer…..😔

Continuing up the hill, a tad deflated, but I told myself she would appear again at some point during my stay….

I’d chosen the circular route to the stones, where the hard part is at the beginning, then half way it turns to downhill walking…much the best way round. The sheep in the fields were much less colourful than in town…but what a backdrop they had….grazing here must made them very chilled and happy sheep

The sun was shining on the fells in the distance as I reached the Stones…others were enjoying the view as well

Most started to leave as I arrived…

……and when others started to arrive, that was my moment to disappear back into town

I eventually came to the bridge over the River Greta and headed towards Fitz Park….clearly the local cafe had done an Elf hunt for the children to follow….🤣

I eventually found the Christmas tree festival…my favourite was one made by little people made out of egg boxes….

I was going to go back to enjoy the carol singing and hand bells at 4…but as I sat on my bed, tapping away, I looked up and saw he sky begin to colour…it was going to be another glorious sunset. I quickly put on my coat and headed towards the lake. I was not alone as others had seen the same scene being created and had also come to watch the sun say goodnight

WOW….just another wow ending to a glorious day

About wendy7713

On the 31st July 2014 I was diagnosed with Young Onset Dementia. I may not have much of a short term memory anymore but that date is one I’ll never forget. I’m 58 years young, live happily alone in Yorkshire, have 2 daughters and I’m currently still in full time employment in the NHS. However, I’m now in the process of taking early retirement to give me a chance of enjoying life while I’m still me. I've started this blog to allow me, in the first instance, to write all my thoughts before they’re lost. If anyone chooses to follow my ramblings it will serve as a way of raising awareness on the lack of research into Alzheimer's. It will hopefully convey the helplessness of those diagnosed with dementia, as there is no cure – the end is inevitable. However, I’m also hoping I can convey that, although we've been diagnosed, people like me still have a substantial contribution to make; we still have a sense of humour; we sill have feelings. I’m hoping to show the reality of trying to cope on a day to day basis with the ever-changing environment that dementia throws at those diagnosed with the condition. What I want is not sympathy. What I want is simply to raise awareness.

14 thoughts on “First day in paradise……Saturday…

  1. Good morning. I’m new to your blog for about 2 weeks now. I just wanted to say that your words and pictures are lovely. I’m in the states just outside of Boston. I’m seeing your part of the world through your words and photos. Thank you!!!!!

    Liked by 1 person

  2. What a simply fantastic day, so good after the difficult night you’d gone through! Thank you for telling us all this, and for so many fantastic photos, Wendy! I can’t choose a favourite, but the Highland cows were beautiful, and I was very touched that Sylvia came to say hello ;o)

    Liked by 1 person

  3. What a wonderful day you had Wendy, thank you as always for sharing it with us. I’m very late getting this reply to you but it’s been a busy day with friends popping in and out. I’m not sure when I will be about tomorrow as I’m changing my server and it all depends when they actually do it. Thankfully a friend more Tec Savvy than me is coming down to set up the new router etc. Anyway I will be back at some time. From Box it’s Night Night. God Bless xx

    Liked by 1 person

      1. Back again. That was super quick and as my friend was down by 9.15 he set up the new router etc and in no time at all I was back on line. How wonderful it is to have such a good friend who is…unlike me !….tec savvy !

        Liked by 1 person

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.