Final day in my paradise…….

By the time you read this, it will be Thursday. in reality it was Sunday, so I will have been able to relive my visit with you as I arrived back home on Monday….

So I think I slept better last night. The concert was on again, but I decided not to try and sleep until the music had finished to avoid the confusion if I woke.  I just lay on my bed, my window wide open and let the music drift in.   You could hear everyone was having a good time and it sounded and looked a family affair as I could see children running about playing, maybe excited to be up late.

 Still very strange dreams though, but all faded memories as I type this. I woke to the sun desperately trying to shine

Over breakfast two of the guests were telling us about their triumph in their respective races yesterday. I’d have loved to be part of it. Nothing beats a race and a crowd cheering you on…always used to bring out that little extra something….

 I decided to walk around the lake first thing, while it was quiet. I didn’t feel the need for venturing further this visit. Don’t think I’ve ever had a visit where I’ve not gone on a bus before, but this was one.

So after a lovely breakfast, where I could hear Lily in the kitchen ‘helping’ nana – I said hello to her yesterday as she was helping clean the rooms- adorable

……I set off on my morning walk…

There were birds singing everywhere as I went through Hope Park. I decided to take a different path through and suddenly saw a sign for a “bird hide’ 😳….why hadn’t I noticed this before? All these years and it’s the first time I’ve seen it 🙈….usually you go into a hide, but they’d cleverly put up a wooden fence and drilled eye holes at every level possible. So no matter what you’re height, they’d be a hole for you to peak through – genius! Through the hole was an small area filled with feeding stations and the birds were everywhere 😍

Making my way towards the lake I could see all the runners gathering to get the launch to the starting point of todays races. There was a 10K and amazingly a 50K – that’s over 30 miles 😳

I was early so hopeful of an empty Friars Crag……and it was…

Birds everywhere again. I had my coat wrapped round my waist and in one of the pockets, a tiny container of bird food. I sat at one end of the bench, and put the pot at the other and just waited to see if they’d come close

Minutes went by and they swooped and came closer. I was convinced they’d join me on the bench. Then suddenly the silence was broken and a group of men came round the corner and the moment was gone. They did apologise for breaking my peace, but I knew the birds wouldn’t come back now. In fact the birdsong vanished, as did the birds. Sadly I put the lid back on the pot and continued on my way.

Round the corner into the bay

I zoomed in to the path zigzagging its way up Cats Bell

A lone boat stood anchored in the next bay; the water so still and mirror like today

I was pleased I headed out early. Few others around; some out on the water; a young boy on a paddle board with maybe his sister and the family dog

Suddenly a whole flock of goldfinches flew from a bush into the air before landing and bit further down. Then as I reached them again, once more they flew into the air and headed further on as if leading the way for me….🥰

I began to think of the 50K runners and all the other events people had joined in this weekend. My legs and brain no longer in harmony meaning running is out of the question, no longer able to ride a bike, as I can’t turn right…and I’ve never done open lake swimming before…but I can walk and an idea for my own challenge of the day started to form in my head. Would I be able to walk twice around the lake? Once this morning and again this afternoon? after all I’d be stook on a train all day tomorrow….🤔

Once round is 10 miles and takes me about 3-4 hours depending how distracted I get with taking photos….mmmm I’ll wait and see what time I get back……

With an added spring in my step at the thought, my pace quickened. Since lockdown, I’ve become much fitter; every day walking 5 miles or more.where once I thought dementia wouldn’t allow me to do certain walks, it was only recently I realised it was because I’d become unfit for the first time in my life – nothing to do with my dementia.

Anyway, that idea hopefully stored in my head, I continued….the millpond lake just looking so peaceful today

As I reached the deserted jetty at Ashness Bridge, the sun came out and caught my shadow on the wooden slats as I stopped to take a piccie

Continuing, a couple in a canoe came into view. Their voices drifted over towards me, one of them commenting how peaceful it was…..I wonder if the person at the front knew the person at the back had stopped paddling…🤣

A motorised paraglider flew overhead

I wonder if you can do that tandem….🤔

Soon I reached Christopher Robin bridge

Not a soul in site. I had it all to myself…..

Through the boggy marsh, finally reaching the other side of the lake. It was at the moment, just as I’d gone through the gate into the wood, that my legs got all tangled. I should know better than to try and do 2 things at the same time. I was trying to watch where I was going and get my tissue out of my pocket. I should have stopped really. But before I knew it the ground was coming towards me. Luckily my camera was in my left hand and I fell on my right hand side – phew! There was no one around to see me flailing downwards and after a couple of sighs, I picked myself up and carried on 🙄

At a crossroads in the paths, I met the 10K runners coming towards me

I stopped this time and clapped them along. Must be hard running a race when there’s no spectators, so I made sure I clapped each one, especially those running alone behind the rest….

There was a drinks station at the bottom of Cats bell with piles of jelly babies waiting for the runners to grab. I was really hoping they didn’t have to climb as well 😳….

Back to being on my own again, through fields, gates and woods, a man passed me by with a huge teddy strapped to his back. He was raising money for youth cancer – wonderful…sadly I didn’t carry any cash on me 🙈

Almost 3 hours later and I was on the homeward straight. The sheep looking chilled in their field, resting in the shade of the tree…

Finally arriving into Keswick. I went and got my supper and headed back to my room for a cuppa before heading out to do it all again……

So after a cuppa tea or maybe two, I decided that if they could run over 30 miles, I could walk 20 mile. Once again I headed out but this time I went to all the tents and finish line to see some runners coming back as it would all be over by the time I’d get back.

I was just in time to see some of the early finishers of the 50K. One man was greeted by his dogs, who proceeded to lick him to death 🤣

And then a woman had her children greet her on the final stretch and how she had the energy to lift and carry one to the finish line, I just don’t know

Even more determined to complete my own challenge, I headed to repeat the morning trundle. This time there was more people about, so less birds, but one Robin sang for me

And the sun shone even more, making the water sparkle..

Halfway round and the Heron was back on his territory….

People were having picnics on the grass as I plodded on. A few sheep had managed to get down by the lake. You could hear their brothers and sisters calling them from high up, but they were quite happy by the water

The fells were starting to change in their autumn attire as the launch passed by with sightseers

As I reached the llamas, my rubber legs decided to tangle again. This time it was my arm and face that took the full force of the fall 🙄….I’d been watching the llamas instead of where I was going this time. A couple came rushing up to see if I was ok. Apparently I had an egg appearing on my forehead and I could feel the dampness of blood on my shirt sleeve 🙈….once again, I tried to do two things at once instead of stopping. I looked down and the tree root bulging up on the path was the culprit. After reassuring the couple I was ok, and telling them a white lie, that I was nearly home, I continued. This time a tad more gingerly….

Again, just over 3 hours and I was almost home. No crowds to greet me with cheers, just me silently punching the air and smiling to myself – I did it……and my fit bit confirmed the challenge

Minutes later I was gratefully back in my room without further incidents. After a cuppa and surveying my war wounds, It was time for my supper. I looked out of my window and the tents from the festival were being dismantled as if nothing had taken place. So many had taken part in this wonderful weekend. Challenges complete, medals for the winners, but all were stars in my eyes and deserve to feel proud of themselves, just as I did at completing my not so little challenge…….

About wendy7713

On the 31st July 2014 I was diagnosed with Young Onset Dementia. I may not have much of a short term memory anymore but that date is one I’ll never forget. I’m 58 years young, live happily alone in Yorkshire, have 2 daughters and I’m currently still in full time employment in the NHS. However, I’m now in the process of taking early retirement to give me a chance of enjoying life while I’m still me. I've started this blog to allow me, in the first instance, to write all my thoughts before they’re lost. If anyone chooses to follow my ramblings it will serve as a way of raising awareness on the lack of research into Alzheimer's. It will hopefully convey the helplessness of those diagnosed with dementia, as there is no cure – the end is inevitable. However, I’m also hoping I can convey that, although we've been diagnosed, people like me still have a substantial contribution to make; we still have a sense of humour; we sill have feelings. I’m hoping to show the reality of trying to cope on a day to day basis with the ever-changing environment that dementia throws at those diagnosed with the condition. What I want is not sympathy. What I want is simply to raise awareness.

21 thoughts on “Final day in my paradise…….

  1. War wounds and battle scars, but the victory was yours. Well done Wendy, a marvellous feat upon marvellous feet! Ha! Be a little more careful though. A friend of mine broke their leg earlier this year and is still recovering. Walked into a bollard while looking elsewhere. So easy to do these things.

    Liked by 1 person

  2. Wow what a challenge you set yourself Wendy. Well done and thank you for all the beautiful photos along the way. Hope no lasting damage from your falls.
    I took a tumble on Monday eve and now nursing a broken wrist! More water with it next time 😂
    Hope you’ve now settled back into your routine at home. 🤗

    Liked by 1 person

  3. Wow, someone should have been there to hand you a medal Wendy after that achievement- well done you 👏👏
    You love Keswick so much, did you ever think of moving there?
    Hope your war wounds are healing and no lasting damage. So easy to do, particularly when there are so many beautiful distractions.

    Liked by 1 person

    1. If I moved to Keswick I’d lose the pleasure of Appletrees every month plus I’d have to get used to a new house which was very difficult a few years ago when I moved here 🙄x


  4. Goodness gracious, what a marathon, well done you! You are such a fighter and an inspiration. I am always left feeling humbled after reading your blogs. Be proud of yourself!

    Liked by 1 person

  5. Twenty miles!!! 😱. You definitely deserve a medal for that one, especially with your setbacks 🥇. So glad you had such a great time and looking forward to your next visit.

    Liked by 1 person

  6. Looks like you had a great time Wendy, hope you are ok after your little scrapes, nice to be able to read about your lake trundles, and see the great photos, well done.

    Liked by 1 person

  7. Wow! That was quite an adventure, Wendy. Love going on your trundles with you – you seem to find so many interesting creatures along the way. Sounds like quite a busy time for all the visitors in that area. Glad you had a good time – glad you got up from your fall and carried on. You’re a very strong woman, Wendy!

    Liked by 1 person

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.