My Journey back to the world I’d come from……

Sorry my blogs are all out of sync, and I’m disturbing your Sunday, but I had so much to write for my mini adventure that this last one is from Thursday and was the day of my morning flight back…..

I had a txt from Philly at 6 asking if I was awake and, of course I was, so the tea fairy appeared for one last flutter… turned out Philly had been awake since 03.30 so had done a whole days work already!

We’d decided the night before that our final outing would be to the bird hide a few minutes walk across the field from her house… just as it was getting light, we ventured across. At first sight it felt like nothing was there to see but as our eyes got used to the scene before us, it was alive with birds……it was so peaceful, so calming, so wonderful and we could have stayed there all day. What we really wanted to see were Curlews as we’d seen some about the day before but they must have been having their breakfast elsewhere……I was trying to use my new camera to zoom in, most didn’t work as I should have had a mini tripod, but here’s a few….

As time passed we decided we really had to leave our peaceful haven and for me to finish packing. Terry and Philly were going for a long walk after dropping me off at the airport so they went armed with all their paraphernalia………

Because it was such a small airport, there was no need for them to wait with me so after hugs and goodbyes, they went off on their venture and I looked round working out what to do. The check in was easy enough and she had it down that I needed assistance. However, that didn’t include through security at Stornaway so I had to watch others for a few minutes to see what I had to do. Usually someone is there to tell me and sort it all out, but not here. But the security person was very patient and helpful, told me what to do and then someone helped me put everything back together at the other side.

I came with 3 other passengers on the flight there, but the plane was full on the return journey, even so it was only about 20-30 people I think. They helped me on first but this time my suitcase had to go in the hold – last time it simply went under a seat! ….but they assured me it would be waiting at the bottom of the steps when I got off.

After take off, the sun appeared with the sea below and we said farewell to the beautiful island. It’s not a ‘pretty island’ but it has a rugged beauty to die for…..

The mainland soon appeared, the captain announcing as we flew over Ben Nevis…..once again the beauty of Scotland below stood out beneath the clouds with the propellers once more appearing on the piccie….

We arrived 10 minutes ahead of schedule – probably helped along by the Stornaway winds 😂

The Assistance at Edinburgh surpassed itself once more. As promised, as soon as the doors of the plane opened, my case appeared at the bottom. Everyone else had to go inside and queue by the carousel! ….also waiting for me was the assistance man with wheelchair, a very smiley, very friendly man. He asked me if anyone was meeting me and when I said no, asked how I was getting out of the airport. I’d wanted to go on the tram… he simply said, well I’ll take you to the tram stop then, and even helped me buy a ticket on the way…❤️…

He sat me down on the tram before heading back into the airport….I told him how Edinburgh’s Assistance has been the best I’ve experienced so far and it made the maze of an airport more manageable…..

Mr ‘Jobsworth’ appeared to be on the tram, insisting I put my suitcase on the luggage rack even though I was the only one in the carriage….it was much safer beside me than it was rolling about on it’s wheels in the empty luggage rack…..🙄…it also meant I then had to set an alarm to remember to take it off once at Princes Street 🙈…..

Anyway ……I got to Waverley station and only had to wait a few minutes before the platform was given for my train and I settled myself down for the journey along the beautiful East coast to Doncaster……

 Once I’d arrived in Edinburgh and the roads were once more full of traffic, full of people, it was like having been transported to another world, and now as the train speeds through the from Edinburgh back home, it’s as though  I’m in a time tunnel being transported from one calm remote world back to the chaos of another…..memories fading fast of my mini adventure……but I still have my blogs and piccies……

About wendy7713

On the 31st July 2014 I was diagnosed with early onset Alzheimer’s. I may not have much of a short term memory anymore but that date is one I’ll never forget. I’m 58 years young, live happily alone in Yorkshire, have 2 daughters and I’m currently still in full time employment in the NHS. However, I’m now in the process of taking early retirement to give me a chance of enjoying life while I’m still me. I've started this blog to allow me, in the first instance, to write all my thoughts before they’re lost. If anyone chooses to follow my ramblings it will serve as a way of raising awareness on the lack of research into Alzheimer's. It will hopefully convey the helplessness of those diagnosed with dementia, as there is no cure – the end is inevitable. However, I’m also hoping I can convey that, although we've been diagnosed, people like me still have a substantial contribution to make; we still have a sense of humour; we sill have feelings. I’m hoping to show the reality of trying to cope on a day to day basis with the ever-changing environment that dementia throws at those diagnosed with the condition. What I want is not sympathy. What I want is simply to raise awareness.

13 thoughts on “My Journey back to the world I’d come from……

  1. Thank you again Wendy, so lovely to be involved in your adventures and to see your fantastic photos! And I have also enjoyed you “interrupting” my weekend – that’s been a treat for me ;o) Hopefully you’ve settled down a bit now, and storm Ciara isn’t too disturbing.

    Liked by 1 person

  2. You are a talented photographer. Such beautiful pictures!

    I live in New Mexico, USA. I visited England in 1976 and again in 1977. I loved England so much, I wanted to stay there forever. Although I planned to visit Scotland, unfortunately I did not get there.

    God bless you, Wendy.

    Liked by 1 person

  3. We get the BBC here in Baltimore, Maryland, and I heard a report Sunday on the intense storms there. So I was thrilled to learn you had gotten home before they started. Feel free to “disrupt” my weekend anytime! Wonderful blog posts on your trip.!

    Liked by 1 person

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.