Our final evening, our journey home…….

An amazing afternoon walking the grounds of the Contesses’s castle

Was followed by our final evening meal in Italy….Molly’s children had asked if they could meet us and arrived armed with their frame for a piccie…..

The downside of our final evening was the absence of our adorable waiter Francesca….it appeared to be either his night off, or he’d had enough of us 😂 without him, there was confusion, having to explain what we wanted (he just knew) and wrong orders being brought. It was also Saturday night so mega busy, including the whole of the Italian Junior Olympic Curling team (I think!)

But, we still had a wonderful meal, a wonderful reflection of our final day. How could we possibly have crammed so much in yet felt so relaxed…..?

A long awaited bed and sleep was delayed by Saturday night being party night at the hotel….but even that didn’t detract from the joyous time we’d had…

The morning arrived and as I lay typing I suddenly realised that being here has become the norm….I tried hard to remember the ‘norm at home’….and only vague whispers of routine images entered my head….this would mean the transition back to normality was going to be tough…

My limit, in the past has been 3 nights away, and now we crossed over into 4…..the only other time this had happened, I’d struggled to remember routine when I got home and lived out of my suitcase until I found one again – whether it was the same routine or whether I’d created a new one, who knows……

I’d also had a txt from Damian asking if I was going Minds and Voices on the Monday and I had to look at the bus time table to see how I got there…..😔 I would have spent the day at home but Minds and Voices is very special to me and we had new playmates attending….

Anyway, all that was to come…..our last breakfast first…we all were a tad bleary eyed at the late night party music..but we were heading home after a wonderful adventure which dulled the annoyance……We also came up with an amazing idea for an advent calendar….watch this space!!!!

We sat outside, waiting for Molly under  cover and listened to the heavy rain falling – which made it much better to say goodbye to the beautiful Pinerolo…….

Molly arrived and, after hugs and giving Molly a thank you gift, we set off for Milan, our exit airport from Italy…..

En route we fuelled our enthusiasm once more with ideas we’d thought of overnight…….bubbling over with excitement and thoughts for the future……

 The journey to Milan was a 2hr trundle…..so we stopped en route for a drink and the loo.

During the stop Molly gave us the kindest of gifts, that we just weren’t expecting ……..

Such wonderful memories….

When we reached the airport, the nerves began to fester inside as we scanned the airport for assisted travel……however, this experience was totally different from Gatwick…….a smiley faced gentle man pushed me in the chair apologising for his little English …….he was kindness all the way……

The one hiccup was at security…….I passed my personal scanning bit fine and the people were lovely, but then they swabbed the airport wheelchair…….🙈🙈🙈🙈…….red light appeared with the words, NARCOTICS…….😱😱😱😱😱😱😱…………oh crikey, here we go, me thought………but another man came, took a swab and checked it on another machine and I was once again on my way……🤯🙄….’really…? why always me’’’? sprang to mind…….😂🤣

We didn’t have long to wait at the gate before we were being boarded via the ‘speedy lane’ but only thanks to Philly going to ask…..

On board the plane, I was sat next to a lovely woman who had the window seat, so I couldn’t take photos……but we got chatting. She took a video to show her little boy as they were going on a long flight to Florida next year and he’s never flown before so she wanted to show him what it’ll be like ❤️…but because we were chatting it also meant she kindly took piccies for me as we floated up high amongst the cotton wool clouds

Very little snow remained on the Alps, so we were soooo lucky with our flight there as the piccies weren’t as spectacular this time…..

We arrived at Manchester and the worry kicked in again, but the assistance was waiting for us, was kind and took us to Border control where we walked the rest of the way, otherwise we would have had to wait for him to go back and pick up another passenger. We simply followed the crowds to the exit and caught the train to Manchester Piccadilly ……where normality greeted us with a smile, as surprise surprise…..our train was ‘Delayed due to signalling problem”……….Welcome back to normality !!

The company you keep, the people you meet along the way, can make or break an adventure….my adventure was made by being in the company of 3 adorable people in Sarah, Philly and Molly. We laughed so much……and the kindness of everyone at the hotel, the reception staff, the manager and especially Francesco, our waiter, who went above and beyond, to make our stay pleasurable, small things that cost little,  made up for the rubbish of getting here…….

A happy memory


About wendy7713

On the 31st July 2014 I was diagnosed with Young Onset Dementia. I may not have much of a short term memory anymore but that date is one I’ll never forget. I’m 58 years young, live happily alone in Yorkshire, have 2 daughters and I’m currently still in full time employment in the NHS. However, I’m now in the process of taking early retirement to give me a chance of enjoying life while I’m still me. I've started this blog to allow me, in the first instance, to write all my thoughts before they’re lost. If anyone chooses to follow my ramblings it will serve as a way of raising awareness on the lack of research into Alzheimer's. It will hopefully convey the helplessness of those diagnosed with dementia, as there is no cure – the end is inevitable. However, I’m also hoping I can convey that, although we've been diagnosed, people like me still have a substantial contribution to make; we still have a sense of humour; we sill have feelings. I’m hoping to show the reality of trying to cope on a day to day basis with the ever-changing environment that dementia throws at those diagnosed with the condition. What I want is not sympathy. What I want is simply to raise awareness.

10 thoughts on “Our final evening, our journey home…….

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.